All articles Autumn · Timing

Should you wait until spring?

Precision Surfacing4 min read
Tar and chip driveway laid at a modern house in North Walsham

It's the question we get most from September onwards: is it worth starting now, or should we leave it until the weather picks up? The honest answer depends on the surface you're after and how long you're prepared to wait — but for most people, waiting costs more than it saves.

What waiting actually costs you

Spring is when every driveway contractor's phone starts ringing. Book in October and you're choosing from a diary with room in it. Book in March and you're joining a queue that often runs into June — so "waiting until spring" frequently turns into waiting until summer.

Meanwhile the drive you've got spends another winter doing what it's been doing. Water sits in the dips, freezes, and opens the cracks a little further. A surface that needs a patch in October can need a bigger repair by March.

Where waiting genuinely makes sense

We'd rather tell you to wait than take a deposit for a job that shouldn't go down yet. It's worth waiting if:

The ground is waterlogged. If your garden has standing water on it, a dig-out will be a mess and the base won't compact properly. Better to let it drain.

You want resin and you've left it very late. Resin needs a dry, mild window. In December and January those get scarce. We can often still do it — see our piece on laying resin in autumn — but by midwinter you may be waiting weeks for a day that works.

There's major drainage or groundwork to sort first. If the job starts with solving a water problem, that's worth doing properly rather than rushing it in poor conditions.

Rough guide by surface

Block paving and gravel: fine all year — weather barely affects them. Tar & chip: good through autumn, needs a dry day. Resin: good through autumn with a catalysed mix; harder midwinter. Tarmac: best spring to autumn; it's laid hot and wants dry ground.

Autumn has one real advantage

A new surface going into winter is a surface that isn't collecting water all season. If your current drive is the reason your garage floods or the path ices over, getting it sorted in October means you spend this winter without the problem rather than another one with it.

Ground conditions in early autumn are also often better than in spring. After a dry summer the ground is firm and digs cleanly; in March it's had five months of rain on it.

The groundwork doesn't wait for weather anyway

Worth knowing how a job is actually sequenced: the dig-out, the sub-base, the drainage and the edgings are the bulk of the work, and they carry on in most conditions. Only the final surface layer is genuinely weather-dependent.

So an autumn booking isn't all-or-nothing. We can get the groundwork done and lay the surface in the first decent window — rather than everything sitting idle until April.

In short

Wait if the ground is soaked, if there's drainage to solve first, or if you've set your heart on resin in deep midwinter. Otherwise, autumn is usually the better move: a date you can actually get, firm ground, and a drive that's sorted before the weather tests it. Tell us what you're thinking and we'll give you a straight answer on timing — including if that answer is "leave it till March".

Get started

Ready when you are.

Tell us about your project and we'll come and measure up — no pressure, just an honest quote.

Start your free quote